I chose to watch the show 9-1-1, and it is a
show that covers the lives and careers of emergency responders that go out
every day to save the lives within their community. During the episode, there
is a scene where a police officer(woman) walks up to fireman and proceeds to
have a conversation him. They are smiling and talking with one another. Then
all of a sudden, she grabs him and slams him up against the firetruck and
kisses him passionately. Based off of this situation, I believe that these two characters
are in a romantic relationship. The nonverbal communication between them displayed
constant eye contact while talking, complemented by a huge smile on each of
their faces when they saw one another and while communicating with one another.
The passion in the kiss was only something you would see between two lovers.
When I turned on the volume, the police officer was walking up to him talking
about how was turned on by him.
In another scene, a
fireman comes home and notices that the is an opened bottle of wine on his
counter and a half-empty glass. As he continues to walk through his apartment,
he notices clothes thrown on a bed and sees steam coming from his bathroom. He
begins to get undressed as he walks into the bathroom to get in the shower. As
he pulls the curtain back, he realizes it is not who he thinks it is. They both
attempt to cover themselves in surprise to see each other naked. In this scene,
I can assume that the fireman thought that based on the items left out that his
significate other was there in the apartment when he arrived home. Based on the
reaction of both people when he pulled back the shower curtain, they were both embarrassed,
ashamed, and shocked. I assume that the two are not in an intimate relationship,
and they are friends or related. When I turned on the volume, I learned that they
are bother and sister. He explained to her that he thought that she was his
girlfriend that had snuck into the house to surprise him. My perception of their
nonverbal cues and behaviors were correct for this situation. I would have seen
the show previously I could have known who the people were in both scenes.
Overall, watching
television without any volume made me pay more attention to nonverbal
communication cues and body language of all the characters in the show. I think
I will try this practice again while watching other shows.
Hello Ashley,
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing your blog post.
The show 911 I have seen the preview of the show and never watch it. After reading your blog post I will be tuning in to this show.
Ashley
ReplyDeleteAfter watching the show muted, I too begin to pay attention to the none verbal cues that people display. I was always aware that this cue existed. I never paid attention to how they factor into my conversations up until now.
Ashley
ReplyDeleteWhen I watched the show I choose as well it does make you pay attention to non verbal communication that happens between the characters. It is so interesting in reading people that way but also to find out some points I was correct about what was actually happening in the show. Thanks for sharing