According to O’Hair, Wiemann, Mullin, and Teven (2018) competent communication is defined as effective and appropriate for a given situation, in which communication continually evaluate and reassess their communication process.” When I think of a person that demonstrates competent communication I think of a former boss and her name is Maddie. Whenever she spoke or briefed, she communicated in a way that was clear and concise. She was always aware of her audience so that she did not use unfamiliar language or acronyms. She was also empathic to other people’s situation and willing to listen and help whenever she could. She was always fair, and always sided with what was right ethically and morally. Always came around with a good positive attitude that made everyone feel welcome which made working for her and with her enjoyable.
Based on her communication skills and behaviors I do strive to model her communication abilities. I know that I can be an introvert at times but as I have come out of my shell as a leader. Working with Maddie showed me how to be conscious of my words because words matter and can take on different contexts.
Reference:
O'Hair, D., Wiemann, M., Mullin, D. I., & Teven, J. (2018). Real communication: An introduction (4th. ed). New York: Bedford/St. Martin's.
Thank you for sharing your blog post.
ReplyDeleteMaddie sounds like a very good person whose love to help people also gave a very good listening ear.
Hello Ashley
ReplyDeleteGreat post! Maddie has some amazing ways she communicates to her audience. Its very important to be clear when speaking and be aware of the way you sound that can help others really understand. Good example and thanks for sharing!
Hello Ashley.
ReplyDeleteI too chose my boss and being a communicator. I love how she makes sure everyone understand her words as well as end the conversation with the phrase do we all understand. This is helping her know that her words are useful by having them confirm their understanding.