Saturday, January 19, 2019

Sharing Web Resources


The name of the organizations that I chose was the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC). This organization is a professional membership association that advocates for children up to the age of eight years old for them to receive high-quality childcare (National Association for the Education of Young Children. n.d.). They conduct advocacy work by working with local, state, and federal politicians on policies and legislation for education.

While I was exploring their website, I found an article titled “Breaking Down Barriers in Early Childhood Education, One Country at a Time.” This article covered the 6th Annual International Education Exhibition and Forum that took place August 2018 in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. The reason this article stood out to me is that educator from all over the world gather for a week to discuss current issues, trends, and policies that the NAEYC is striving to improve all across the globe. During this conference, educators had the opportunity to tour and learn about the city and the country, attend the midday prayer at a local mosque, and have dinner at a local restaurant. I was glad to read this because it touched on this week’s lesson of cultural diversity and awareness. It can be an uncomfortable issue, but it is something as an educator we will at some time have to deal with in the classroom, and we should strive to have an open mind and seek to understand other cultures.
 

References:

Gamble, J. (2018, August 2). Breaking Down Barriers in Early Childhood Education, One Country at a Time: #GlobalNAEYC | NAEYC. Retrieved from https://www.naeyc.org/resources/blog/breaking-down-barriers
 

National Association for the Education of Young Children. (n.d.). About Us | NAEYC. Retrieved from https://www.naeyc.org/about-us

5 comments:

  1. I love the blog resource you posted. It was a really interesting read. I'm a member of NAEYC, and this conference seems really interesting. I really would like to attend it sometime. It seems like it would be a very rewarding and educational experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing opportunity for those who were able to attend. I think it is wonderful they were submerged into another culture, I am sure they learned a great deal. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! I also read the article you suggested, it is important in the culture diversity issue.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoy the NAEYC website and gain a lot of insights from it. I was able to attend a NAEYC's conference a few years back. I was amazed at how even though we were from different parts of the world we all had a common goal and that was the well being of children. I have never heard of the conference information you posted about. I am looking forward to reading more about it. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Ashley, I can agree with you about learning all you can about other cultures. I think people think that when you learn about another culture, it is only about color. It is way deeper than just talking about that. In my opinion, it is to really dig into background, the way other people believe, their faith, and how they live. Being culturally competent helps you to respect others and their differences.

    ReplyDelete

Wordle_Time Will Tell