Sunday, February 17, 2019

Sharing Web Resources


I have been exploring NAEYC’s website. During this week I examined a publication from August/September 2017 were to focus on welcoming refugee children into early childhood classroom. I found this to be very interesting to read because of the many issues that have been going on at the borders concerning families and children. Majority of these families had encountered and experienced many hardships and trauma (NAEYC, 2017). The NAEYC has a few different ideas and approaches to creating an inclusive and nurturing classroom environment for these children and families. They are the following:

1.       Prepare to greet the children.

2.       Create play experiences that do not require English.

3.        Familiarize families with classrooms.

4.       Connect with related community cultural groups.

5.       Meeting emotional needs.

6.       Establish one-on-one time with children.

7.       Create opportunities for refugee parents to share their traditions. (NAEYC, 2017)
 
These ideas/approaches will create more of an open learning environment for everyone.  Other websites for reference were:
Association for Childhood Education International
www.acei.org

“How to Support Refugee Students in the ELL Classroom,” by Kristina Robertson and Lydia Breiseth. Colorín Colorado
www.colorincolorado.org/article/how-support-refugee-students-ell-classroom

Raising Young Children in a New Country: Supporting Early Learning and Healthy Development https://eclkc.ohs.acf.hhs.gov/hslc/tta-system/cultural-linguistic/fcp/do..., to help you talk to families about child development, health, school readiness, and more.

 

Reference:
 
NAEYC. (2017, August). Welcoming Refugee Children into Early Childhood Classrooms. Retrieved from https://www.naeyc.org/resources/pubs/tyc/aug2017/welcoming-refugee-children-into-classrooms

1 comment:

  1. Hello Ashley, NAEYC is a great resource for early childhood and I enjoyed reading about how to provide a more nurturing and inviting classroom. This is a resource I can use with the teachers that I work with. I also will look at the other ones you have listed. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Wordle_Time Will Tell