I decided to explore Save
the Children’s website for this week. As I explored
their website, I learn that this year marks the 100th anniversary of
the movement of Save the children. I learned that Save the Children was initially
a campaign to help children suffering from the efforts of the war in Europe.
Over the years it has grown into an organization
dedicated to ensuring that all children around the world survive, learn
and protected. Over the past 100 years, they have helped to change the lives of over 1 billion children. Save the
children has global initiatives that support advances in child health and
medical care, education, protection, and
emergency relief (Neumann, 2019).
Within this organization,
they have five different programs that focus on education. Those programs consist of early
child care and development, primary
education, school of health and nutrition, education research, and education in
emergencies. In one of the articles I read that in Bhutan, Save the Children
had improved the quality in 200 of their preschools, trained educators, and
introduced play-based math and reading activities to the school (Save the
Children, n.d.). Overall, I believe the work and achievements of this great organization
has helped save the lives of many
children and helped to secure a better future for society. Save the Children understands that equal opportunity for
education, good health, and protection for all should be made available for those less fortunate.
References:
Neumann, S.
(2019, January 1). Save the Children Celebrates 100 Years of Progress for
Children. Retrieved from https://www.savethechildren.org/us/about-us/media-and-news/2019-press-releases/save-the-children-celebrates-100-years
Save the Children. (n.d.). Early Childhood Development. Retrieved from https://www.savethechildren.org/us/what-we-do/global-programs/education/early-childhood-development

Wow! 1 billion children is an amazing feat. I'm sure there is a lot that we as ECE professionals can learn from this organization. Do any of these initiatives have specific names or research that one could access?
ReplyDeleteI had no idea they had been around for so long. What a wonderful resource. I like that they support protection of children, what kinds of services do they provide to implement this?
ReplyDelete