I chose the country of Albania, which is located on the Southeast of Europe’s Balkan Peninsula. It shares the coastline with Adriatic and Ionian. The capital city is Tirana.
In preparation to receive this child and family I would do the following:
1. I would research the culture of Albania. If the childcare center I am working for has a family data sheet that outlines such things as Nationality, religion, language and any other important information about the family background.
2. Refresh or review cultural competence training, guidance, and strategies as part of my process in preparation.
3. Ensure that my classroom is welcoming to both the child and the family. Showing that my class is welcoming to families that are different from me culturally.
4. Schedule a meeting with the parent to talk through the classroom learning objectives and curriculum. During this time learn about what strategies the family uses at home for the learning and development of the child or children.
5. Keep an open mind in the experience of meeting new people, learning about them, and developing a partnership.
As a result, I believe that preparing to meet this new family I hope they see that as an educator that I am invested in their family. The techniques that I use will show the family that I am wanting to establish a partnership that has open lines of communications. Also, I can assist them in learning the culture of this new country and culture they are experiencing being in a new place.
No comments:
Post a Comment